Re: BCRY Exporter - Blender to CryEngine Content Pipeline

hypercardioid wrote:Hi Feedbackex,

Do you know if I can export animated character with root motion ? I saw locator locomotion option in Bcry menu but I wonder if it's still available and how it works ?

Hi hypercardioid,

Surely, you can use this tool to add locator locomotion bone to your skeleton, and after exporting, its discarded and its animations converted to character motion informations.
For more information you can check this document: http://bcry.afcstudio.org/documents/locator-locomotion/

Thanks for the reply,

Before I'm starting the whole process I would like to be sure about some points:

1) The Skeleton don't need this locator locomotion right ? only the animations armature need one ?
2)
Be sure your root bone name and movement reference bone name is set correctly.

If my root bone already contains the movement information I can set
Root Bone: to Root
and
Movement Bone: to Root also ?

hypercardioid wrote:Thanks for the reply,

Before I'm starting the whole process I would like to be sure about some points:

1) The Skeleton don't need this locator locomotion right ? only the animations armature need one ?
2)
Be sure your root bone name and movement reference bone name is set correctly.

If my root bone already contains the movement information I can set
Root Bone: to Root
and
Movement Bone: to Root also ?

1) Yeah skeleton doesn't need to locator locomotion for chr or skin exporting so only armature need it if you add motion to your animation.
2) Movement bone is not needed as official, it's just set copy location constrain reference bone for Locator Locomotion bone. You can change it anytime under constraint tab in pose mode while Locator Locomotion bone is selected (I generally prefer to use hips or pelvis bone Y axis for motions like running or walking animations). If you want to manually set the motion animation, you can disable it again from constrain panel.

Lastly, root bone has to be root bone. It's indicate the parent of the Locator Locomotion bone.

I got the following error, not sure if its a permission or blender issue. I'm using blender 2.78c. Cool tool great work, that's the only issue i see with cryengine in UE4 i can set mesh collision to complex and UE4 will apply the physics or mesh collision to an object. Some thing as simple as not being able to walk through walls in UE4 is a simple click of a button. I did a scene render compare between cryeninge and UE4 to me cryengine looks more realistic. Looks like cryengine requires phyics applied before it can handle solid objects.

found bundled python: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\python
[Info] BCry: 'Configuration file loaded.'
read blend: C:\Users\gamer\Documents\FBX 2013\mikehouse.blend
Info: Adding Export Node

Info: Applying object transforms.

[Debug] BCry: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Crytek\\CRYENGINE Launcher\\Crytek\\CRYE
NGINE_5.3\\Tools\\rc\\rc.exe'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\io_bcry_
exporter\__init__.py", line 2937, in execute
export.save(config)
exporter\export.py", line 1104, in save
exporter = CrytekDaeExporter(config)
exporter\export.py", line 51, in __init__
self._m_exporter = export_materials.CrytekMaterialExporter(config)
exporter\export_materials.py", line 40, in __init__
config.export_selected_nodes)
exporter\material_utils.py", line 132, in get_materials
node_name, slot.material.name)
exporter\material_utils.py", line 420, in get_material_parts
index = int(parts[0])
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'Material'

harrism76 wrote:I got the following error, not sure if its a permission or blender issue. I'm using blender 2.78c. Cool tool great work, that's the only issue i see with cryengine in UE4 i can set mesh collision to complex and UE4 will apply the physics or mesh collision to an object. Some thing as simple as not being able to walk through walls in UE4 is a simple click of a button. I did a scene render compare between cryeninge and UE4 to me cryengine looks more realistic. Looks like cryengine requires phyics applied before it can handle solid objects.

found bundled python: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\python
[Info] BCry: 'Configuration file loaded.'
read blend: C:\Users\gamer\Documents\FBX 2013\mikehouse.blend
Info: Adding Export Node

Info: Applying object transforms.

[Debug] BCry: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Crytek\\CRYENGINE Launcher\\Crytek\\CRYE
NGINE_5.3\\Tools\\rc\\rc.exe'
Traceback (most recent call last):
exporter\__init__.py", line 2937, in execute
export.save(config)
exporter\export.py", line 1104, in save
exporter = CrytekDaeExporter(config)
exporter\export.py", line 51, in __init__
self._m_exporter = export_materials.CrytekMaterialExporter(config)
exporter\export_materials.py", line 40, in __init__
config.export_selected_nodes)
exporter\material_utils.py", line 132, in get_materials
node_name, slot.material.name)
exporter\material_utils.py", line 420, in get_material_parts
index = int(parts[0])
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'Material'

Hi harrism, are you sure your objects have material. If they are, could you share your file to investigate the problem?

hypercardioid wrote:Many thanks Feedbackex! It's almost done but the direction looks wrong I don't know why because the locomotion locator bone looks good facing the positive y axis

BCry is very powerful I tried many times via FBX Importer but without success and no one to help :-(. But now with BCry I can :-). I just need to understand why it is going in the wrong direction haha!

Thank you for reporting hypercardioid and also thank you for your pretty words :), that is my mistake, I forgot to disable auto axis changing for Locator Locmotion bone, I have fixed this issue now, you can download it here.

hypercardioid wrote:It's ok now it works perfectly with last update thanks!
ps: Just to fill my curiosity what's happens with the locomotion locator while you're exporting an animation ? Can you explain how the data are "transmitted" and where they go ?

According your LM animation CryEngine calculate some parameters for blend spaces; movement speed, rotation speed, rotation angle, movement direction, slope angle ....
In that way you can use blend spaces to create smooth and interpolated animations. Like 360 degree rotation with 5 type of animation (stand idle, right turn, left turn, back turn from right, back turn from left)
In same way you can create smooth movement motion with 3 move animations (walk, run, sprint)

In addition you can use that motion information directly in C++ code to animate your character in gameplay according to LM informations.