C# vs. C++

I am new to cryEngine and wondered which is better to use with Cryengine5. I'm sure it varies between projects, so I'll tell you that I am planning on building a very large open world mmorpg. From reading the documentation, I gathered that the CE# framework runs through mono to get to crycommon. I am trying to make this game as optimized as possible because lots of players in a big world could cause problems. I feel like using C# would cost performance because it has to go through so many extra layers. Is this not so? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Thanks

Re: C# vs. C++

If you're going for something as big as an open world MMORPG C++ is the only way to go. C# itself is depending on how much of the engine is exposed to it, while in C++ you have full access to whatever you want to use of the engine. Plus on top of that you indeed don't have the added overhead of making calls from managed (C#) to unmanaged (C++). Even if the whole all the features of the engine were already fully exposed to C# I would still recommend C++ for something as demanding as an MMORPG.

Re: C# vs. C++

crazy-p wrote:What programming language do you know now?

I know both Languages.
cry-miron wrote:If you're going for something as big as an open world MMORPG C++ is the only way to go. C# itself is depending on how much of the engine is exposed to it, while in C++ you have full access to whatever you want to use of the engine. Plus on top of that you indeed don't have the added overhead of making calls from managed (C#) to unmanaged (C++). Even if the whole all the features of the engine were already fully exposed to C# I would still recommend C++ for something as demanding as an MMORPG.

Thanks. I'll go with C++.