Microsoft Visual Studio 2017

So, microsoft is about to launch its new version of the visual studio, and i'm wondering if i shopuld upgrade rather sooner than later.

For you to understand, my hd is running low in space and i have VS 2013 and VS 2015 installed. So, i was wondering, should i move all my project for VS 2015 now and uninstall the VS 2013 version, or should i move everything to VS 2017 alreadly and uninstall all the prior versions? bear in my that i also don't want to mantain multiple version of cryengine in my computer either.

I don't started working in any projects yet, but i was caught at suprise last time when i realize that the cryengine didn't offer any integration for VS2013, I don't want to get caugth off guard again. Does cryengine have support for VS 2017 alreadly (RC1 is on the wild)? Will the next version of the engine be compatible with more recent version of visual studio only?

I will start my fisrt serious attempt at making a game in cryengine (2 years development, i think) some time between now and june, but the migration off the projects need to happen now, so a heads up now would be very usefull. Thanks.

Re: Microsoft Visual Studio 2017

hi folks, sorry to buggy you but i'll use vs 2017 and trying to learn the engine, i'll purchased a book about that 'CryEngine game programming C++, C# and lua'

so i'll try to compil my Crymono.sln and get an error because a vcxproject file is not present :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Crytek\CRYENGINE Launcher\Crytek\CRYENGINE_5.3\Code\CryEngine\CryCommon\CryCommon.vcxproj

i dont have any file called CryCommon.vcxproj

I'm using 5.3.3 (last release) with sdk, etc...

Thanks for your help,

f.

Re: Microsoft Visual Studio 2017

folamour wrote:hi folks, sorry to buggy you but i'll use vs 2017 and trying to learn the engine, i'll purchased a book about that 'CryEngine game programming C++, C# and lua'

so i'll try to compil my Crymono.sln and get an error because a vcxproject file is not present :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Crytek\CRYENGINE Launcher\Crytek\CRYENGINE_5.3\Code\CryEngine\CryCommon\CryCommon.vcxproj

i dont have any file called CryCommon.vcxproj

I'm using 5.3.3 (last release) with sdk, etc...

Thanks for your help,

f.

After downloading the git source code and downloading/copying the required SDKs (provided), you would then build the visual studio project files using waf or cmake.
After you generate the solutions the project you'er specifically looking for would be either:
(If you used WAF): CRYENGINE\Solutions\.depproj\CryCommon.vcxproj
(If you used CMAKE): CRYENGINE\solutions_cmake\win64\CryEngine\CryCommon\CryCommon.vcxproj

I personally recommend WAF for the current release version it seems slightly more stable. (albeit less easily configurable). It will also probably line up more with your book (I guess, depending how old your book is).

There is a picture guide for getting started in my signature that might help you.
If you get stuck I'd probably make your own thread.
good luck.
Beginner Guides | GitHub | Splash Plugin | CMake Tool