C++ Shut down the engine

Hi! I can't shut down the engine through C++ in CE 5.4 preview 3 . In 5.3 when map was loaded, I used unload cvar and then exit(0); to shut it down, but in 5.4 if I call exit(0);, then it freezes.
I tried:

Code: Select all

exit(0); and gEnv->pGameFramework->ShutdownEngine();
Second one also freezes. No crash, nothing. Console says "Exited with code 0 (0x0)", which is fine, but it doesn't disappear.
Are there any other methods?
Cryengine tutorial videos on my Youtube channel! Check it out !
https://www.youtube.com/user/MusicForLifePL20

Re: C++ Shut down the engine

Hope I understand well the issue, you want to terminate your "game" from c++ code. If not, just ignore this :-)

For me it works like this:

Add to "defaultprofile.xml" another action for the key you want to press for quiting (I use "escape")

<action name="escape" onPress="1" onRelease="1" retriggerable="1" keyboard="escape"/>
Add in the Initialize function of the player component (in "player.cpp")

// Register the action m_pInputComponent->RegisterAction("player", "escape", [this](int activationMode, float value) { if (activationMode == eIS_Released) { gEnv->pSystem->Quit(); } }); // Bind the escape action to the escape key m_pInputComponent->BindAction("player", "escape", eAID_KeyboardMouse, EKeyId::eKI_Escape);
Hope that helps
Charalampos :-)

I didn't want to show how to get keyboard actions. I've put a little bit more code than just "gEnv->pSystem->Quit();" only because I thought it is better to show exactly what I have done. And sure this is probably not the best way, it just not crash for me :-)

Thanks für pointing out about the defaultprofile.xml, I thought I have to put the actions there anywhere. I don't use the engine very often nor I am a good programmer, just want to test 5.4.

Cheers
Charalampos :-)

This topic appears to be solved.

For reference, the console command "Quit" internally just calls pSystem->Quit(); so I wonder why you are having trouble using this function directly. It is the proper method to quit the application.
If there are other issues it may be best to start a new topic, as the subject matter of this topic has been solved.
Uniflare
CRYENGINE Technical Community Manager
Here to help the community and social channels grow and thrive.

My personal belongings;
Beginner Guides | My GitHub | Splash Plugin