Automated Testing?

Hello, I am a cross functional Software Engineer and Test Architect - but I have no experience in the game or 3d space. Nearly a year ago, I had a question that I could not seem to find the answer to. At the time, it was only a minor annoyance but as time has passed it has become more burning in me. The question is, how do game developers automate full E2E testing? I have looked through the tutorials and really haven't seen much on testing (very likely I've overlooked it). I would love to add this to my skillset, if for no other reason than to satisfy my own curiosity. Does anyone here have any information on how this is done in the game development world?

The kind of tests I have in my mind are like clicking on menu items, validating certain UI elements appear, etc. I am also interested in how to test network encounters with asymmetrical connections. An example of something like this might be (in gherkin format):

Code: Select all

Feature: Network Lag Compensation As a competitor in a multiplayer match, I want network lag compensation, so that I feel matches are fair Scenario: Player1 Wins Given player1 with a ping of 50ms And player 2 with a ping of 500ms When player1 shoots player2 And player2 shoots player1 250ms later Then player2 dies Scenario: Player2 Wins Given player1 with a ping of 50ms And player 2 with a ping of 500ms When player2 shoots player1 And player1 shoots player2 50ms later Then player2 dies Scenario: Draw Given player1 with a ping of 50ms And player 2 with a ping of 500ms When player1 shoots player2 And player2 shoots player1 within 10ms Then both players die
I suppose it's highly likely that games don't have this level of automation in their testing. If that's the case that's fine, I'm just curious. If you're interested in collaborating to make something like this happen I might be able to be persuaded, it's certainly a proverbial scratch I'd like to itch :)